How should I take care of myself during pregnancy?
We encourage you to take care of yourself during the pregnancy; that means a balanced diet, regular exercise and an average weight gain of 20-35 pounds for women with an ideal pre-pregnancy weight. It also means no smoking or illegal drug use. No alcohol intake is the safest advice. If you have problems in any of these areas, we are happy to help you. Unfortunately, violence and abuse is all too common in women’s lives, especially during pregnancy. Please bring this to our attention if it is a part of your life.
The following substances seem to be safe throughout pregnancy:
- Caffeine – the equivalent of 2 caffeinated beverages per day
- Claritin and chlorpheniramine – all antihistamines, dextromethorphan – cough suppressant, Tylenol and most cough drops
- Hemorrhoid medications, stool softeners – such as Colace
- Zantac, Pepcid, and antacids (Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta)
- Antibiotics such as penicillin, cephalosporins, erythromycin, Bactrim, Macrodantin, Zithromax
- Antifungals (Monistat, Gyne-Lotrimin, and Mycelex)
- Novacaine and codeine in small amounts
- Dental X-rays with abdominal shielding
Please check with us first before using any other medications.